This topic is weighed 7% on exam
Understand persistent volumes and know how to create them.
- don’t belong to any namespace but are cluster level resources like nodes
Understand access modes for volumes.
- The access modes are:
- ReadWriteOnce – the volume can be mounted as read-write by a single node
- ReadOnlyMany – the volume can be mounted read-only by many nodes
- ReadWriteMany – the volume can be mounted as read-write by many nodes
Understand persistent volume claims primitive.
Understand Kubernetes storage objects.
- emptyDir - simplest type represents a temporary directory that shares a pod’s lifetime.
- gitRepo - represents a git repository at a particular revision.
- hostPath - represents a pre-existing file or directory on the host machine that is directly exposed to the container. Use only if you need to read or write system files on the node. Never use them to persist data across pods.
Know how to configure applications with persistent storage.
- Create a persistent volume claim
- Use persistent volume claim in pod