These brief instructions, in no particular order, will help you get started quickly. Study smart, study hard.
1. What is Kubernetes and what can it do?
- Enjoy this Kubernetes comic, “Smooth Sailing With Kubernetes”, to find out what kubernetes can do.
2. Use this website as a study guide for the CKA exam
- I used the same guide and passed the exam on the first try.
- I’ll be consistently updating with the most up-to-date resources
3. Download the Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) Exam Curriculum Overview
4. Read and understand the candidate handbook
Some of the important highlights:
- You have 3 hours to complete exam
- If you don’t pass on the first try, you’ll be granted 1 free retake
- During the exam, you can have 1 browser tab open only to access www.kubernetes.io assets for reference
5. Read exam tips
Some of the important tips:
- The online exam consists of a set of 24 performance-based items (problems) to be solved on the command line
- Exams are delivered online and closely monitored by proctors via webcam, audio, and remote screen viewing
- There are six clusters that comprise the exam environment, made up of varying numbers of containers, as follows:
|k8s||1 etcd, 1 master, 2 worker||flannel||k8s cluster|
|hk8s||1 etcd, 1 master, 2 worker||calico||k8s cluster|
|bk8s||1 etcd, 1 master, 1 worker||flannel||k8s cluster|
|wk8s||1 etcd, 1 master, 2 worker||flannel||k8s cluster|
|ek8s||1 etcd, 1 master, 2 worker||flannel||k8s cluster|
|ik8s||1 etcd, 1 master, 1 base node||loopback||k8s cluster - missing worker node|
6. Read exam FAQ’s
7. Read and be comfortable agreeing to NDA
8. Study for the exam
- The Cloud Native Computing Foundation’s certification exams are performance-based, which means the only way to ‘study’ for them is to practice, practice, practice.
- Candidates are encouraged to gain as much hands-on experience as possible in order to build mastery using the command line
- Some candidates, especially those who are newer to Kubernetes, may also find it valuable to complete a formal training course.